- Monitor approaching winter storm conditions – freezing rain, sleet, snow, high winds, wind chill conditions.
- Ensure employees/students understand University policy for operating or closing under adverse weather conditions.
- To prevent auto accidents and injuries, do not come into work if the University is closed.
- In heavy rains, beware of flash flooding. If the possibility for flash flooding exists, move to a safer location.
- Contact Physical Plant (817.257.7956) to report any flooding in your building.
- If time allows, place valuable, and electronic, equipment up on file cabinets or desks for protection.
- Place paper files on top of cabinets, if possible.
- Unplug all fixtures, including extension cords, from the wall outlets.
- Be aware of electrical hazards.
- When a thunderstorm threatens (and/or if you hear the Thorguard sirens), go inside immediately for protection.
- When indoors, stay away from windows, water, sinks, and faucets.
- If you are in a hard-topped car, stay there.
- If you are caught outside, stay away from any object that could act as a natural lightning rod, such as tall trees.
- Stay clear of open fields, open water or small isolated sheds. If you are caught in an open area, crouch low to the ground; do not lie flat on the ground.
- Get away from fences, poles and other metal objects.