HOSTAGE / KIDNAPPING SITUATIONS
- If possible, leave the building.
- If it is safe to do so, alert other employees/students that an emergency is present, or imminent, and to quietly leave the area.
- Contact TCU Police (817.257.7777) when you feel you are in a safe location.
- If you are in the same location as the hostage-taker, cooperation is your best defense. Make no sudden movements.
- In a hostage situation — versus an active shooter situation — remember that the hostage-taker will generally use the hostages as a bargaining chip.
If you receive a telephone call regarding a kidnapping/hostage situation:
- Remain calm and contact TCU Police (817.257.7777). Provide as much information as possible.
- If you receive a ransom note or other form of communication, contact TCU Police at once (817.257.7777). Minimize additional handling of the note, or any other physical evidence, until it can be delivered to authorities.